This class is for fiddlers who have some experience with their instrument and want to take part in Stringband Class, but would like to learn at a slightly slower pace and in a smaller group.
When learning tunes in a group setting, it is essential to be able to pick up melodies and rhythms by ear. And in order to play with others you must be able to lead a tune with confidence.
WHAT and HOW
We will work on these skills needed to be successful in a group situation. In addition, we will continue to develop the essential techniques required for all fiddling: tone, intonation, and rhythm. We will build all of these skills in the context of some basic exercises and by learning several of the current Stringband Class tunes at a pace that is comfortable for the group. In addition, students enrolled in this class will:
- Have access to Stringband Class student login pages with source music and demonstration videos for the tunes in the current session
- Stay for the instructor demos and large, multi-instrument jams at the beginning of the 7pm SBC
- Have use of a classroom in Pacific Crest where you can continue to practice material covered while the larger SBC meets
- Attend the 4th Stringband Class meeting (with Fiddle 2s, Banjos, and Guitars) where we focus on playing in small, multi-instrument groups
- Participate in the final class potluck and jam session with the larger Stringband Class group
8 Tuesday Evenings
9/30, 10/7 & 10/14: 6:00 – 7:15pm
10/28, 11/4 & 11/11: 6:00 – 7:15pm
11/18 (final class potluck starts at 6:30, jamming ends at 9pm)